How to convert your website into a Chrome-Extension?
So, you’re wondering how to convert your existing website into a chrome-extension? Well, I’ve got it for you!
All you need to do is, follow these simple steps:
- Step-1: Create a manifest.json file in your root directory (where your index.html) is located and insert the following code. Here, the most interesting and important thing to note is “browser_actions”. The task of this object is to tell the browser that ‘Hey! This is a chrome-extension and can you please open index.html whenever we trigger it’.
Step-2: You’re done! Yeah, that’s it.
But, um…How do I run this?
To run your extension, follow these simple steps:
- Clone/Download this repository
- Open chrome
- In the address bar, type ‘chrome://extensions’
- Enable ‘Developer Mode’ from the topmost-left corner (if not already enabled)
- Select ‘Load Unpacked’ option from the top
- Browse the location of the saved project
- You’re good to go now. You’ll be able to locate the extension in the extensions’ section
- Run your extension. Cheers!